Phantoms of the Aces
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Teamspeak] General Discussion Channel

5 posters

Go down

How do we address the situation of the "general discussion" channel?

[Teamspeak]  General Discussion Channel I_vote_lcap0%[Teamspeak]  General Discussion Channel I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[Teamspeak]  General Discussion Channel I_vote_lcap0%[Teamspeak]  General Discussion Channel I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[Teamspeak]  General Discussion Channel I_vote_lcap100%[Teamspeak]  General Discussion Channel I_vote_rcap 100% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 5

Poll closed

[Teamspeak]  General Discussion Channel Empty [Teamspeak] General Discussion Channel

Post by Guest Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:47 am

As we all know, the multi-game channel was deleted, and the general discussion channel modified into a faux-multi-game channel last week, in order to attempt bring more users into the same channels, and strengthen the community. While I agree that this is a step in the right direction, I also believe the idea was only half-cocked upon execution, with a few flaws. I would like to start a formal discussion upon the issue of this new setup, as well as see what the general consensus on the topic is. So, I have come up with a couple options of my own for people to review, and add to.

1) Allow people playing games in a team-based environment to stay in general discussion under the requirement that they use push-to-talk:
This would allow people playing competitively to contribute to the conversation at hand, with out interrupting it with in-game call-outs. Failure to comply by an individual, after a warning, would simply result in the removal of said individual from the channel. People playing in groups would be required to use in-game chat between each-other for call-outs, with the same consequence for all members of the group upon failure to comply by one or more individuals within the group.

2) Limit the use of the general discussion channel to only those who are playing independently or in a pair in a non-competitive environment. We have channels for most of the major games in our community, as well as an "other games" channel, and there is a reason for that. The same consequences would be in place as previously stated.

3) We go back to having two channels, one for general discussion and one for multi-game chat, until we come up with a better solution.

If you have any suggestions on how we fix the situation other than those posted above, please vote "other" and reply below.

Back to top Go down

[Teamspeak]  General Discussion Channel Empty Re: [Teamspeak] General Discussion Channel

Post by Admin Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:56 am

Just to put in my two cents.  The General Discussion channel was always meant to be the hub channel for the group.  The idea has been that you come into the channel and can either just talk or find people to play with and then would move to that channel.  Once you were done playing, you could go back to the GD channel and see who is playing other games.  Because of this channel we now have a good number of players who play Payday 2 and KF2, and we don't want to lose that aspect of the channel. Now, I will agree that we have been very inconsistent with how we handle call-outs, and that is why this thread exists.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

[Teamspeak]  General Discussion Channel Empty Re: [Teamspeak] General Discussion Channel

Post by Piemaaan Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:36 pm

I know I'm new, but my thought process on this is that you apply 'big boys rules'. Where, quite simply, rather than trying to control the channel with restrictions on who is where saying what, how and when, you have it as the 'hub' that it is, and if people are playing games while being happy to hear other peoples' discussions then that's them. On the contrary, if someone's call outs are impacting on the social chat then politely ask them to move/tell them they're being moved to a solely gaming channel. The 'big boys' part comes in now... You have to assume that most of the time people will know whether or not their ingame chat will disturb the channel and, as such, they should decide to move themselves to another channel proactively.

I'm pretty hungover right now so I can't be bothered to proof read, but hit me on steam if you don't catch my vague, if not downright veiled, suggestion.
Piemaaan
Piemaaan

Back to top Go down

Post by RTSThunder Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:19 pm

I agree with Piemaaan, because it makes sense that if a person is aware that their in-game callouts are disturbing other members, that the person should be "big boy" enough to move themselves as needed
RTSThunder
RTSThunder
The Anti-Memer

Back to top Go down

Post by Razemaze Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:42 pm

i like the Big boy Theory, go Pieman
Razemaze
Razemaze

Back to top Go down

Post by Blitz Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:33 am

I agree with Piemaaan as well. I feel that someone could move themselves or at the very least someone else could be mature enough to say something in a respectful manner. It is really not that difficult.
Blitz
Blitz
Ace Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down