MWO matchmaking

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MWO matchmaking

Post by Jzaltheral on Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:56 pm

I'm really struggling with MWO the last few days.  For some reason, it feels like the matches I end up in are all very one sided.  I get that the match maker will expand the range of Tiers it teams you up with in order to fill a match, but it doesn't feel like it's doing any balancing along those tiers, so you end up with teams that are either very good or really, really crappy.  I've been keeping an eye on the end of game stats - I've had one close game since last Friday.  Most of them are 12 - 2, 12 - 1. This feels like there's more going on than the usual PUG randomness.

I dunno.  Maybe I'm just having a run of terrible luck with the match maker, but bleah, it makes actually playing the game a chore as opposed to fun.

Robert E Lee wrote:The trite saying that honesty is the best policy has met with the just criticism that honesty is not policy. The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy

Jzaltheral

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MWO matchmaking

Post by Hardin4188 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:04 pm

The quicker the match making is generally the more balanced it is. That's why I don't normally play weight classes that have high queue times. If you play assaults you can get in the game quick and usually stay alive long enough to make a difference in the match.

Sometimes you will get matches where your team is just terribad and you can't do anything about it. Looking at my stats it looks like I actually went up to tier 3 yesterday so I'm nervous about the new competition I'll face.

Hardin4188
Moderator of Moderation

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Firecrafter on Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:46 pm

I guess one of the issues could be the fact you are still tier 5.  If you think about it, most new players will quickly get pushed to that tier due to their inability to quickly adapt to this game.  The issue would then be that they are mixed in with tier 5 players who have experience and the MM is just putting those new players on your team while the other is getting the "veteran" tier 5 players.
Firecrafter
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardin4188 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:31 pm

Firecrafter wrote:I guess one of the issues could be the fact you are still tier 5.  If you think about it, most new players will quickly get pushed to that tier due to their inability to quickly adapt to this game.  The issue would then be that they are mixed in with tier 5 players who have experience and the MM is just putting those new players on your team while the other is getting the "veteran" tier 5 players.

It's possible, but if I understand the PSR system correctly then it almost functions as a type of xp or prestige system like call of duty. Eventually those veteran players should start moving into higher tiers.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/210140-some-clarification-about-tiers-and-psr/
Here's some info on the tier system. Let me know if I missed anything.
Hardin4188
Moderator of Moderation

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jzaltheral on Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:41 pm

Thanks Hardin, I hadn't see that, but it does bring up an interesting question.

Players who support their team, but do low amounts of damage (ECM cover, etc) tend to have very low match scores, which translates into smaller PSR climbs.  While Paul says the PSR system is designed to reward team play, it's obviously more heavily weighted to one kind of support - shooting the enemy team.

Robert E Lee wrote:The trite saying that honesty is the best policy has met with the just criticism that honesty is not policy. The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy

Jzaltheral

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardin4188 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:42 pm

Jzaltheral wrote:Thanks Hardin, I hadn't see that, but it does bring up an interesting question.

Players who support their team, but do low amounts of damage (ECM cover, etc) tend to have very low match scores, which translates into smaller PSR climbs.  While Paul says the PSR system is designed to reward team play, it's obviously more heavily weighted to one kind of support - shooting the enemy team.

Yes this is what really annoys me about the new system. In the past mwo used an Elo system based on your win/loss record. The matchmaking was more nebulous and you never knew exactly where you were until you get into the infamous elo hell where you would get some win streaks and get ranked higher then ultimately get super rekt because your win/loss ratio was getting too high so it tried to punish you. At least with elo you could support your team, win and move higher up. Now with points you simply have to do damage. This also favors larger mechs that can do much alpha damage. Especially clan mechs with their insane amount of weaponry.
Hardin4188
Moderator of Moderation

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jzaltheral on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:11 am

I'm beginning to understand why we're seeing fewer ECM IS chassis.

Jzaltheral

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Firecrafter on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:07 am

Jzaltheral wrote:I'm beginning to understand why we're seeing fewer ECM IS chassis.
That might be the case.  If they add some sort of C-Bill giving bonus, then their will be a "reason" to run it.  Your points/PSR are determined by damage, kills, spotting, or anything that provides an in-game XP/C-Bill pop-up.

Firecrafter
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum