Phantoms of the Aces
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using LRMs and Making Them Count

5 posters

Go down

Using LRMs and Making Them Count Empty Using LRMs and Making Them Count

Post by Jzaltheral Mon May 16, 2016 4:43 pm

I hear a lot of guff about how LRM's are useless, and no one should bring them.  My typical response is that LRMs work just fine in the right situations.  My 950 damage Archer is plenty of proof of that.  However, there are some considerations that need to be taken into account, and that's what this thread is for - giving out all the lessons I've learned the hard way about using one of my favorite weapons.

First, LRMs are not competitive weapons, no matter how much we would rather it be otherwise.  PPFLD rules comp play, and will for the foreseeable future.  Don't like it, don't play comp.  
That said, LRMs have a place in both Quick Play and Faction Play, but it requires the pilot to be able to use them effectively.  Your mech can hold an LRM 80?  That's awesome - did you remember to bring a weapon to use when you run out of ammo?  Because you will.  Are you standing off all by yourself where you will be cut off and die to that pair of light mechs skirting around the main fight?  Don't do that.

Onto the advice!

• There are certain faction play matches where LRMs are, in fact, wasted tonnage, especially Grim Portico.  This is why having multiple mechs ready to go that can be switched out based on the map is important.
  • While it's nice when you can get locks from your team, DO NOT DEPEND ON IT if you are a solo player.
  • Learn to play aggressively.  Push with your team.
  • Learn to dumbfire without getting a lock at all (this requires LOS).
  • Stay with your teammates or you will die to the first light mech that finds you.
  • For the love of the Archon (all praise her name), bring secondary weapons.  You are of zero use to anyone except as a meatshield if you can't hit things closer than 180 meters effectively.  Even if you have to bring streaks because you only have missile slots, bring a couple of streaks and a ton of ammo.  At least you can actually put damage on the light mech that's harassing your teammates.

• As a corollary to this point, don't just bring one streak - that's less than useless.  Bring at least 2 (4 is preferable), or switch them out for a couple of SRM 4's

• TAG and NARC are less important than actually being able to hit the target.
  • The more missile slots you have on your mech, the smaller your launchers should be to increase overall DPS (due to cooldown).  Six LRM 5s do just as much (potential) damage as two LRM 15s, but they will fire much faster, increasing your overall (potential) DPS.
  • Bring secondary weapons (did I mention that already?  Good, it's important.)

Feel free to discuss below.  I'll be happy to defend my assertions with an unholy rain of missile fire.
Jzaltheral
Jzaltheral

Back to top Go down

Using LRMs and Making Them Count Empty Re: Using LRMs and Making Them Count

Post by skyray Mon May 16, 2016 5:57 pm

Jazz....I have HATED LRM's for awhile now.  That's because I don't have any and got nailed by spammers more than once. I'd really like to learn how to use them effectively so I'm glad to see this post.  If you have any ideas on a good MAD config sporting LRM's I'd love to hear about it. I'd even be willing to buy a mech that's set up for good LRM volleys to support the team and to help me learn.  Thanks man. Smile
skyray
skyray
Retired Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jzaltheral Tue May 17, 2016 12:23 am

Ask and ye shall receive

Marauder MAD-5D
The Marauder really isn't a good missile platform.  I mostly built this one to prove it could be done, but it's less than optimal.  The jump jet is really just there to let you spin around to engage light mechs with your lasers faster.

Mauler MAL-1R
This is a decent assault application - the LRM 10s give you decent fire power, and combined with the large laser, means you won't lose that advantage when you run out of missiles.  The MGs and pulse laser should be linked together and used for brawling, if the need arises.  four machine guns can open up a mech pretty quick.

Catapult CPLT-A1
This is my goto mech when I need a missile boat that's also nimble and can apply damage to light mechs successfully.

Archer ARC-5W(See this thread for the results of this build)
The poster child for Missile Mechs.  You do LRM 30 damage with LRM5 speeds.  Chain fire them and you end up with an unending rain of missiles.  Which can disorient your opponent if they're not focused.  The streaks are there for close range brawling, and for that sweet spot between 180m and 270m when you can unleash every launcher you have.
Jzaltheral
Jzaltheral

Back to top Go down

Post by caspatrofaal Tue May 17, 2016 9:42 am

If you don't feel as confident running simply missiles on your catapult, the C1 and C4 variants have lazer slots in their torso's making for excellent secondary weapons.
caspatrofaal
caspatrofaal
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Worstplayer007 Tue May 17, 2016 5:54 pm

The true is that I have started experimenting with one of my Stalkers because he got quirks for LRM 20, but I think that making an assault mech primarly as LRM boat is a bad idea.
Worstplayer007
Worstplayer007

Back to top Go down

Post by caspatrofaal Tue May 17, 2016 8:15 pm

I have some friends over on a mumble server who for the most part think lrm's are shit. guess how many shits i give about their opinions Razz
caspatrofaal
caspatrofaal
Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardin4188 Wed May 18, 2016 3:43 pm

LRMs are universally disliked even on the clan side. But they are useful and something to be feared. That's why they are hated so much. Because they are effective. Having said that some lrms are better then others. Like I told Worst LRMs 20s are generally wasteful. So much tonnage and ammunition eaters. LRM 15+Artemis is far more effective. Sometimes you can legitimately say screw quirks.
Hardin4188
Hardin4188
Moderator of Moderation

Back to top Go down

Post by skyray Thu May 19, 2016 12:14 am

Jzaltheral wrote:Ask and ye shall receive

Marauder MAD-5D
The Marauder really isn't a good missile platform.  I mostly built this one to prove it could be done, but it's less than optimal.  The jump jet is really just there to let you spin around to engage light mechs with your lasers faster.

Mauler MAL-1R
This is a decent assault application - the LRM 10s give you decent fire power, and combined with the large laser, means you won't lose that advantage when you run out of missiles.  The MGs and pulse laser should be linked together and used for brawling, if the need arises.  four machine guns can open up a mech pretty quick.

Catapult CPLT-A1
This is my goto mech when I need a missile boat that's also nimble and can apply damage to light mechs successfully.

Archer ARC-5W(See this thread for the results of this build)
The poster child for Missile Mechs.  You do LRM 30 damage with LRM5 speeds.  Chain fire them and you end up with an unending rain of missiles.  Which can disorient your opponent if they're not focused.  The streaks are there for close range brawling, and for that sweet spot between 180m and 270m when you can unleash every launcher you have.

Wow Jazz....thanks very much for the readouts!  I wasn't expecting that but I very much appreciate it.  Yes, I'm gonna have to at least try the 5D variant because...it's a MAD lol.  Honestly though, I'm looking at the builds and reading everyone's comments and getting some ideas. I do like that Catapult too.  Now that I've been inspired I'll have to start working on some builds to see what I can do. bom
skyray
skyray
Retired Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jzaltheral Thu May 19, 2016 2:57 am

Learn to dumbfire the LRMs and you'll be miles ahead of the pack.
Jzaltheral
Jzaltheral

Back to top Go down

Post by skyray Tue May 24, 2016 2:36 pm

Hey Jazz:
                         I'm thinking of trying this modification on your MAD-5D out.  Wanted to get your opinion/suggestions on it if I could. (And any others who care to comment) It's based on the MAD-5D you posted up as an example. Also one of my first serious attempts at modding a mech.  Wink

Skyray's Sprinkler
skyray
skyray
Retired Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jzaltheral Wed May 25, 2016 2:32 pm

You don't need that much AMS ammo. I never run more than a ton per AMS on the mech. (So if you have three AMS, take three tons). I would drop 1.5 tons of AMS and a jump jest, and add a heat sink to the engine, and another ton and a half of LRM ammo.

Something like this
[url=MAD-5D]Updated Sprinkler[/url]
Jzaltheral
Jzaltheral

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum